Friday, June 19, 2009

Nothing's ever simple

I talked to the broker today. He pointed me to some paperwork I have to submit via snail mail.

I only have a few hundred dollars to invest at the moment, but I'll have more soon enough. He told me that wouldn't be enough to properly diversify and they generally advise waiting until you have a few thousand dollars to invest before beginning. But I want to get started. There will always be an excuse to wait. More importantly, what if it takes me 4 months to save up that much money...and what if the economy collapses in 3 months. What good did waiting do me.

$400-ish dollars may not buy much, and I may lose it all by not being diversified. But I'll (essentially) lose it all anyway if the economy collapses. At that point, my $400 won't make much difference. My thinking is, if it comes to the point that my $400 matters, then $400 won't matter.

Anyway, I'll mail the paperwork tomorrow. They should get it early Monday or Tuesday. Hopefully I might even own some stock by week's end.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment